Monday, March 4, 2013

Nights out: Gecko at the 12bar Club soho

Now: Feb 2013
(google images) the 12 bar club London, very intimate (aka tiny) but a very good night out- apparently there is live music every night of the week and well worth checking out.

Not long after coming home to London from my Christmas in Aus. Sam called me up to tell me that my favourite and Gecko would be playing with two of his mates and I might like to come watch. I was ready and raring to go, having seen Gecko (cute bunch of Bristol or is it Brighton? boys) play once before in Islington (see below) I knew how much of a great night out they put on.

 Gecko @ the old queens head islington. They were in such popular demand that after their set we all raced outside on to the street for an encore performance. Such a cool freaking way to end the night, dancing on the side of the road with such a great band. Nov 30th 2012.

Sam and I met in Picadilly Circus and he took me on a peeping tom's tour of his new workplace the Cafe Royale hotel. Peeping Tom being we didn't go in, we just peered in through the windows because we were late for the gig. The hotel is uber cool, despite its hilariously bad reviews and I am very happy that Sam is doing so well there. He is a manager in the Meeting and Events Dep. and gets to host parties for Supermodels from London Fashion Week and Prada Christmas parties and so forth. Living the glam life indeed haha.
(google images) Cafe Royale. Piccadilly Circus. Regent St. oooh lalah

We stopped off at Hungry Jacks for dinner (romantic sir real romantic haha) and caught up over all my exciting adventures in Oz and I heard all about what I'd missed since last being there. After my double whopper (so bad its good) we headed over to the apparently legendary 12 Bar Club where everyone who is anyone has played and met up with Ed and Kirst. Sam's new housemates and good friends. They were a lovely couple both with a cracking sense of humour and warmth. Ed then jumped up on stage and gave a great performance before he was joined by Liam (another mate) and together they were absolutely divine. Such a great combination of voices and instruments. I was simply blown away by how good these guys sounded.
Ed Koral and Liam O'Kane. Music for the soul.

It was around this time of night that I headed off to buy a pint and was asked for I.D. naturally flattered I reached into my pocket to discover that I'd left it at home and had to think quick. I charmed the long haired bar tender with my apologies and talk about slayer (he was wearing a shirt) and he was kind enough to remind me to always carry I.D. and i felt like a complete fool. Albeit a lucky one this time. After a laugh and a few kind words of encouragement to Ed and Liam, Gecko took the stage and as always it was time to bust the moves and sing along.
Gecko. Too good for words, Again a blurry pic because of all the fun i was having dancing about.

The boys on stage are the most down to earth and funny chaps about. They have a great kind of acoustic/ tropical pop vibe and their lyrics are great. You can tell that these guys get together and make the music as a group effort. Its relatable, its fun and I am a huge fan. They were recently lucky enough to play at Boomtown and a slew of other festivals in the summer. They are always about with new tours and gigs. If i can figure out how to post a youtube vid i will be please be sure to check them out. For now though here is one of mine
 8 seconds of great music. excuse the bumpy footage. i was busy dancing!

After the performance I quickly used to loo where i discovered that one of the old bartenders private performances were apparently as well known by the ladies as the venue's public performances. So after a good giggle and some farewells I was off home to bed, where i was apparently still bopping about and singing in my sleep!